Richmond, Va. - Virginia is being recognized for its efforts to fight human trafficking.
The Richmond Justice Initiative presented Governor Bob McDonnell and members of the legislature with a cake today, because Virginia has moved up to the top tier of states fighting human trafficking.
Governor McDonnell announced today that he will be holding the first Governor's Summit on Human Trafficking in October. The summit will address victim identification, victim assistance and public education on the topic.
Human trafficking has been described as a complex crime involving money and people with troubled backgrounds. Virginia has passed a number of bills over the past few years to address human trafficking.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial