Richmond, Va. - Virginia is being recognized for its efforts to fight human trafficking.
The Richmond Justice Initiative presented Governor Bob McDonnell and members of the legislature with a cake today, because Virginia has moved up to the top tier of states fighting human trafficking.
Governor McDonnell announced today that he will be holding the first Governor's Summit on Human Trafficking in October. The summit will address victim identification, victim assistance and public education on the topic.
Human trafficking has been described as a complex crime involving money and people with troubled backgrounds. Virginia has passed a number of bills over the past few years to address human trafficking.
- New Mistrial for men accused of beating NASCAR's Mike Wallace
- FTC warns there would be 'significant risk' if MSHA, Wellmont merger is approved
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Boone Lake dam repairs will mean water level changes
- TVA investigates aquatic life near Boone Lake dam