The cost to attend Virginia's colleges and universities continues to go up, but experts say it appears to be leveling off.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia says the average increase in tuition and other mandatory fees at public colleges and universities this year was 5.1%.
That's slightly higher than last year's average of 4.5 percent. Officials say the leveling off can be attributed to additional state contributions to higher education.
This year, lawmakers designated an additional $25.1 million for public colleges and universities.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- Updated Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect
- Southwest VA school gets national recognition