The cost to attend Virginia's colleges and universities continues to go up, but experts say it appears to be leveling off.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia says the average increase in tuition and other mandatory fees at public colleges and universities this year was 5.1%.
That's slightly higher than last year's average of 4.5 percent. Officials say the leveling off can be attributed to additional state contributions to higher education.
This year, lawmakers designated an additional $25.1 million for public colleges and universities.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash