To help battle the looming federal fiscal crisis and a lagging recovery, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell has ordered state agencies to cut budgets by four percent.
McDonnell cited the so-called "fiscal cliff" and worries Congress won't agree on debt reduction in time to avert deep, across-the-board cuts that would begin January 1.
He is calling for the agencies to begin plans for the cuts immediately.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson