RICHMOND, Va. - A trooper with the Virginia State Police has died while on duty.
Agency spokeswoman Corinne Geller says a rescue crew on Saturday found 65-year-old Sgt. J. Michael Phillippi still seated inside a Chevrolet Impala that had crashed into a road sign. Phillippi was working an overnight supervisory shift. He was taken to Martinsville Memorial Hospital, where he died a short time later.
The Henry County Sheriff's Office responded to a call about a vehicle crash on Route 57 near Route 9728 around 2:20 a.m. Geller says the crash is under investigation.
Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe held a moment of silence at the inaugural prayer breakfast in Richmond in honor of Phillipi.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash