NORFOLK, VA - Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency in preparation for the massive snow storm hitting the area. National Guard troops have been placed around the commonwealth, in case conditions become severe, to assist in management of emergency actions.
On how this will affect the area Director of Emergency Management, Pokey Harris, for Washington County Virginia said, "Before we call in state assets or resources, is that we've exhausted everything locally. Right now, we're good. We're just in a state of situational awareness. We're monitoring the event so we can stay proactive instead of reactive."
Harris also said for non-emergency issues people should not call 911. She also recommended that if you must travel to have an emergency kit in your car.
- Local police agencies offering drug take-back services Saturday
- Domtar announces reduced production at Kingsport plant
- Virginia voter registration deadline extended through Friday
- Updated Youth leaders in Bristol learn about tolerance
- Updated Grand jury set to hear case of man accused of sexual assault