NORFOLK, VA - Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency in preparation for the massive snow storm hitting the area. National Guard troops have been placed around the commonwealth, in case conditions become severe, to assist in management of emergency actions.
On how this will affect the area Director of Emergency Management, Pokey Harris, for Washington County Virginia said, "Before we call in state assets or resources, is that we've exhausted everything locally. Right now, we're good. We're just in a state of situational awareness. We're monitoring the event so we can stay proactive instead of reactive."
Harris also said for non-emergency issues people should not call 911. She also recommended that if you must travel to have an emergency kit in your car.
- New Pedestrian killed trying to cross interstate in Asheville
- Trial date set for Sullivan County man charged with child sex crimes
- Man sentenced after trying to bring meth to Lee County inmates
- Supreme Court may strike law barring sex offenders from social media
- Updated Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN