The Virginia Department of Transportation, VDOT, has awarded 13 contracts valued at approximately $44 million for the Bristol District.
The Bristol District consists of 12 counties in southwestern Virginia: Washington, Smyth, Lee, Scott, Russell, Buchanan, Tazewell, Bland, Wise, Dickenson, Grayson, and Wythe.
Here's a list of those contracts:
A $10.5 million contract was awarded to Vecellio & Grogan, Inc., Beckley, W.Va., to reconstruct a section of Route 83 (Lover's Gap) in Buchanan County.
Multiple contracts valued at $28.3 million were awarded to W-L Construction and Paving, Inc., Chilhowie for paving at various locations in VDOT's 12-county Bristol district
W-L Construction and Paving, Inc. also received two additional highway contracts:
- A $1.9 million contract to pave shoulders and add rumble strips to Route 23 in Wise County from Route 692 (Scott Robinson Hollow Road) to 7.14 mile north of Route 692.
- A $868,991 contract to perform shoulder improvements at various locations in the Bristol District.
Lastly, the following bridge projects were awarded:
- Crossroads Bridge, Inc., Marion, was awarded an approximate $1.1 million contract to replace the deck of the Route 11 bridge located over I-81 Exit 32 in Washington County. Be alert to the possibility of periodic lane closures on the interstate due to bridge repairs above the interstate.
- A $517,883 contract was awarded to Ken Construction, Inc., Lebanon, to replace a portion of the Route 637 (Cochran Road) bridge over the Clinch River in Tazewell County. The bridge will be restricted to one 9-foot-wide lane and controlled by signals during the bridge repairs.
- Elk Knob, Inc., Pennington Gap, was awarded a $446,802 contract to replace the deck of the Route 606 bridge over Stone Creek in Lee County.
- A $199,978 contract was awarded to Estes Bros. Construction, Inc., Jonesville, to replace a section of the Route 660 bridge over Hardy Creek in Lee County.