Va. - The Virginia State Supreme Court will hear the state's appeal on awarding damages in the Virginia Tech lawsuit after the campus massacre in 2007.
A panel of three justices rejected a bid by attorneys for the parents who want to sue Tech's president, Charles Steger.
A judge excluded him from a trial in which the state was found negligent for failing to alert the Blacksburg campus of the first shootings.
A jury ruled last March that the university botched its response to the shootings.
A lone gunman and 32 students and faculty were killed in the shooting rampage, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
- New Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- New Poll: 51 percent of Tennesseans approve of Trump's job performance
- Updated UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- Dirty dancing: Caretaker charged for naughty dance in front of dementia patient
- Haslam: First vote on gas tax won't signal final version