Va. - The Virginia State Supreme Court will hear the state's appeal on awarding damages in the Virginia Tech lawsuit after the campus massacre in 2007.
A panel of three justices rejected a bid by attorneys for the parents who want to sue Tech's president, Charles Steger.
A judge excluded him from a trial in which the state was found negligent for failing to alert the Blacksburg campus of the first shootings.
A jury ruled last March that the university botched its response to the shootings.
A lone gunman and 32 students and faculty were killed in the shooting rampage, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- Updated Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect
- Southwest VA school gets national recognition