Virginia law enforcement officers will soon be better prepared to respond to emergency situations involving people with mental illness.
The Commonwealth is spending about 3.5-million dollars of its share of a national Medicaid fraud settlement on the training.
About 800-thousand will go to training conducted by The State Department of Criminal Justice Services.
The other 2.7-million will go to 19 local agencies.
The money comes from a 115-million dollar settlement for leading the investigation against Abbot Laboratories last year.
This training is the first project approved.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport