DINWIDDIE, Va. - Virginia and community leaders are gathering to dedicate a section of Interstate 85 in Dinwiddie County in honor of a slain Virginia State Police trooper.
An unveiling and dedication ceremony is scheduled for Friday for the "Master Trooper Junius A. Walker Memorial Highway."
Sixty-three-year-old Walker was fatally shot on I-85 in Dinwiddie County during a traffic stop in March. Russell E. Brown of Chesterfield is charged with capital murder in Walker's death.
A section of I-85 southbound from the Route 703 overpass to the Brunswick County line is being named in the 35-year veteran's honor.
Signs will be placed along the interstate. A smaller version of the highway signs will be placed at a nearby rest area as an accessible memorial for the public to safely pay their respects.
- Kingsport police searching for five sex offenders
- Updated Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- New ACC moves its championship game to Orlando
- Updated Volvo recalls 44K vehicles; leak can cause air bag problem
- New Fundraiser and concert to be held for John Battle coach who has brain cancer