DINWIDDIE, Va. - Virginia and community leaders are gathering to dedicate a section of Interstate 85 in Dinwiddie County in honor of a slain Virginia State Police trooper.
An unveiling and dedication ceremony is scheduled for Friday for the "Master Trooper Junius A. Walker Memorial Highway."
Sixty-three-year-old Walker was fatally shot on I-85 in Dinwiddie County during a traffic stop in March. Russell E. Brown of Chesterfield is charged with capital murder in Walker's death.
A section of I-85 southbound from the Route 703 overpass to the Brunswick County line is being named in the 35-year veteran's honor.
Signs will be placed along the interstate. A smaller version of the highway signs will be placed at a nearby rest area as an accessible memorial for the public to safely pay their respects.
- New Four months after Johnson City murder, still no suspect
- Updated UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- UPDATE: Fresh leads develop in Christmas Eve murder
- Kingsport City Schools unveils new DB Excel facility
- Northeast State Student Veterans of America raising awareness about veteran suicides