It's been a good year for the United Way of Virginia Highlands.
Officials announced Wednesday morning that they have reached their $1.5 million fundraising goal -- in fact, they surpassed that goal.
United Way Virginia Highlands covers five counties and one city, serving over 168,000 residents across Southwest Virginia.
It supports more than 50 non-profit agencies.
Alan Jones is the campaign chair."We've tried to over time, as we have expanded, to continue to be local. We have campaign chairs in each of the locations that make these campaigns very local, and all the money that is raised is put back in all of those local communities," he said.
One of the biggest revenue generators for the organization is through its employee giving campaigns, where your contributions come from a portion of your paycheck.
- Updated Update on Proposed Methadone Clinic for Gray
- Washington County, Virginia man charged with rape of child
- EPA, USDA announces initiative to help bring broadband service to Erwin
- Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Major decision expected Wednesday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic