SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - Traffic is still backed up on interstate-81 after two tractor trailers crash.
Virginia State Police tell us they are still working a crash near mile marker 55 on interstate 81.
It happened around 4:30 Saturday afternoon.
Traffic was blocked in both northbound lanes for several hours, but as of 10 o'clock Saturday night, we're told one lane is now back open.
We're told the crash happened when one tractor trailer was parked in the emergency lane, when it hit by another tractor trailer.
"There was a tractor trailer in the emergency lane stopped, and there was another tractor trailer coming up and he stated that he did not see it and hit the back end of the other tractor trailer here," says Connie Call with the Atkins Volunteer Fire Department.
We're told one of the drivers was flown to the hospital. his condition is unknown at this time.
Police tell us the trailer in the median will likely remain there until monday.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program