Final changes for Virginia's SNAP program, formerly known as food stamps, took effect Monday.
The change implemented a staggered benefit payment schedule. The new process will expand the number of times benefits will be issued to four times a month.
The benefit dates will be based on the last digit in the household's case number.
Case numbers ending in zero through 3 will be on the first day of the month.
Numbers ending in 4 or 5 will the fourth day of the month.
Numbers ending in a 6 or 7 will be the seventh of the month, and numbers ending in an 8 or 9 will be on the ninth.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death