SMYTH COUNTY. Va. - Heavy rain earlier Thursday could be the cause of a car accident that happened on Interstate 81.
Trooper Aaron Perry with Virginia State Police tells us it involved two vehicles at mile marker 39 just before 3 p.m. We're told the crash happened when a car driving north crossed the median and hit a car driving in the opposite direction.
Perry says the driver and front seat passenger of the northbound vehicle were taken to the hospital.
Trooper Perry says the driver is in serious condition. There was also a baby in the backseat, but we're told it was in a car seat and was not seriously injured.
The driver of the second vehicle was not hurt.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Tennessee general fund revenues beat projections by $159M
- Georgia firefighter dies after weekend accident on job
- Report: Suicides increase in Tennessee
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting