ABINGDON, Va. - Breaking news at this hour out of Abingdon -- verdicts have been returned in a federal trial involving the Saltville Rescue Squad.
We're told Eddie Louthian, Sr. was convicted on conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud, one count of healthcare fraud, four counts of making false statements and one count of making a false statement to a grand jury.
The Saltville Rescue Squad was found not guilty of all counts against it.
Prosecutors said in August 2012 that Louthian and another squad member fraudulently billed insurance companies more than $2.5 million during a 10-month period. The other squad member, Monica Jane Hicks, pleaded guilty to healthcare fraud in June 2012.
We'll have more information on this breaking story later today on News 5 and on wcyb.com.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake