ABINGDON, Va. - Breaking news at this hour out of Abingdon -- verdicts have been returned in a federal trial involving the Saltville Rescue Squad.
We're told Eddie Louthian, Sr. was convicted on conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud, one count of healthcare fraud, four counts of making false statements and one count of making a false statement to a grand jury.
The Saltville Rescue Squad was found not guilty of all counts against it.
Prosecutors said in August 2012 that Louthian and another squad member fraudulently billed insurance companies more than $2.5 million during a 10-month period. The other squad member, Monica Jane Hicks, pleaded guilty to healthcare fraud in June 2012.
We'll have more information on this breaking story later today on News 5 and on wcyb.com.
- Updated Fire in Abingdon sends man to hospital
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue
- Is the election stressing you out? You're not alone.
- Avoca community rallies for girl's Diabetes service dog
- Court: Greeneville bank manager embezzled more than $1 million