ABINGDON, Va. - Breaking news at this hour out of Abingdon -- verdicts have been returned in a federal trial involving the Saltville Rescue Squad.
We're told Eddie Louthian, Sr. was convicted on conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud, one count of healthcare fraud, four counts of making false statements and one count of making a false statement to a grand jury.
The Saltville Rescue Squad was found not guilty of all counts against it.
Prosecutors said in August 2012 that Louthian and another squad member fraudulently billed insurance companies more than $2.5 million during a 10-month period. The other squad member, Monica Jane Hicks, pleaded guilty to healthcare fraud in June 2012.
We'll have more information on this breaking story later today on News 5 and on wcyb.com.
- Updated Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting
- New Tri Cities Regional Airport celebrates completion of construction
- Jury is out in first-degree murder case of Johnson City man
- Volunteer firefighters responded to RV fire in Bluff City
- Two men charged in the fatal shooting of Zaevion Dobson