This year marks the 40th anniversary of John Cushman's trek across the U.S.- walking from New York City to San Diego- to raise funds for the Musclar Dystrophy Association.
Cushman, 61, is celebrating by getting back on the road, back to San Diego via Washington, D.C., but this time the cause has changed. And, it's personal.
The father of seven had to see his then 7-year-old son diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and go through daily blood tests and insulin shots. Cushman himself was diagnosed years later.
Cushman passed through our area on Thursday, crossing into Smyth County, Virginia.
He hopes the walk will raise money for research and improved patient care.
"86 million of us have Type 2 diabetes. I started this walk with type 2 diabetes, type 2. I have lost 35 pounds since Washington, D.C. And it went away, it's gone, " he said.
Those who would like to contribute to Cushman's cause can click here.
- Updated Local lawmakers question funding for Coalfields Expressway
- Judge orders government to allow abortion for immigrant teen
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to 4 rapes from 16 years ago
- Victim of domestic violence speaks out; hopes to inspire others to seek help
- Kingsport city hall may be moving; officials examining costs to city