SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - The Saltville Police Department has a new machine to help fight crime -- it's called Zero, and it's the only one of its kind in the state of Virginia.
Zero is a completely electric motorcycle the department is using to patrol town streets and the Salt Trail.
Saltville Police Chief Rob Hall tells us the motorcycle keeps patrol cars from damaging the trail and their cars while patrolling.
Hall says they received the bike through money the Commonwealth's Attorney received as a part of a settlement, and it didn't cost the tax payers a dime.
He tells us the best feature of the bike is it's not loud. "That has allowed us to ride by people who didn't even know we were there. From a law enforcement perspective that can be a very good thing when the bad guys can't hear you coming," adds Hall.
Hall says the department has taken the bike to schools in the town to show the students and to help build the relationship between children and law enforcement.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial