SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - The students on Saltville Elementary School's archery team are the Virginia state champions.
45 elementary school students participated in the state competition and brought home the state title.
Penny Jones is the gym teacher at Saltville Elementary School; she tells us the funding for the program comes from the National Turkey Federation.
She says the program must be taught during school hours for kids to be able to travel to tournaments.
Jones says this is a great opportunity for the students and the parents. "A lot of our fathers that hunt have been able to spend some time one on one with their kids and get involved in it. It's not like any other sport. There is no yelling and fussing, everybody is encouraging all the kids to do their best," she said.
Jones tells us the next tournament will be nationals in Louisville, Kentucky on May 10, then the team will travel to worlds in Madison, Wisconsin in July.
- Updated Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project