MARION, Va. - Fire crews were busy in Marion, Va. on Sunday morning after they were called to a house fire.
We're told the fire started just after 7:00 a.m. on the 800 block of Cumberland St.
The Marion Volunteer Fire Department said that when they arrived, there was heavy smoke and flames coming out of the back of the building.
They told us the two people living inside the home, and their pets, got out safely.
It was an accidental fire, said Ken Heath, with the fire department.
"The fire was fairly easily contained," he said. "It looked like there was something on top of the stove and somehow, don't know exactly how it started, but it melted and started the fire."
Heath told us there is fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.
The Salvation Army is assisting the family, he said.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment