MARION, Va. - The Town of Marion has a new police chief.
Marion leaders hired Rex Anders last Friday to take over leadership of the police department.
The job was left open after former police chief Michael Roberts was arrested and indicted on drug charges in the summer of 2013. Roberts pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six years in prison. Click here to read more.
Chief Anders tells us that he is planning on his officers having a larger community presence and increasing patrols in the area. Chief Anders said the department is focused on moving on. "I've got a good set of officers. I'm proud of them, and the town's backing them up. We're just moving forward, moving right along with new policies to make sure nothing like that ever happens again," said Anders.
Chief Anders has been with the department for 24 years. Anders served as a Lieutenant for the last eight years before taking his new position.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin