MARION, Va. - Authorities in Marion, Virginia say they have located the source of gasoline that ended up in the sanitary sewer system.
Smyth County emergency management director Charles Harrington said gasoline was leaking from an underground tank at the Marathon gas station on the east end of town. He says the tanks are older and that all underground tanks will eventually leak.
Harrington says there is no danger to the public or problems with the sewer system due to the leak they first identified on Tuesday.
He says they expect to have it all cleaned up before the weekend.
We're told the smell of gasoline led crews to search the area and found the gasoline in the sewer. They've been on the scene since Tuesday.
- Updated Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City