SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - Things are back to normal in Smyth County after several schools were placed on a modified lockdown, Tuesday morning.
The Smyth County Sheriff's office says they received a report of a suspicious person on the grounds of Atkins Elementary School. The woman was reportedly acting strangely and ran away when confronted.
Deputies later found an abandoned car near Oak Point Elementary School. Authorities decided to lockdown Oak Point, Smyth Career and Technology Center, Chilhowie Elementary and Chilhowie High School.
Chilhowie Police later found the woman and took her into custody for mental health issues.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- Updated Drought causes high levels of sodium in Coeburn's drinking water
- Updated Attorney: Alabama mom delivered stillborn baby after snorting heroin
- Kingsport police searching for man accused in deputy-involved hit-and-run