SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - Things are back to normal in Smyth County after several schools were placed on a modified lockdown, Tuesday morning.
The Smyth County Sheriff's office says they received a report of a suspicious person on the grounds of Atkins Elementary School. The woman was reportedly acting strangely and ran away when confronted.
Deputies later found an abandoned car near Oak Point Elementary School. Authorities decided to lockdown Oak Point, Smyth Career and Technology Center, Chilhowie Elementary and Chilhowie High School.
Chilhowie Police later found the woman and took her into custody for mental health issues.
- Updated U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome