SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - Things are back to normal in Smyth County after several schools were placed on a modified lockdown, Tuesday morning.
The Smyth County Sheriff's office says they received a report of a suspicious person on the grounds of Atkins Elementary School. The woman was reportedly acting strangely and ran away when confronted.
Deputies later found an abandoned car near Oak Point Elementary School. Authorities decided to lockdown Oak Point, Smyth Career and Technology Center, Chilhowie Elementary and Chilhowie High School.
Chilhowie Police later found the woman and took her into custody for mental health issues.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next