SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - A group of elementary schoolers in Smyth County, Virginia took a trip to the past Tuesday.
Fifth graders from Oak Point Elementary school in Marion reenacted a Civil War encampment from June 3rd, 1863.
They portrayed soldiers on both sides of the conflict. They also recreated hospitals and schools from 151 years ago.
"This is civil war encampment that the students portray every activity, they have researched it," said 5th grade teacher Lesa Keyes. "This is part of our SOLs, our Virginia SOLs."
The students were able to choose their roles and have some fun while fulfilling state education requirements and preserving a vital part of American history.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death