SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - UPDATE 4/3/2014: We have new facts on the fire and the man who was found inside the home.
Chip Shuler with the Smyth County Sheriff's Office tells us the man found dead inside the home had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The name will not be released. The fire happened just before 6 a.m. Tuesday on Old Prater Road.
A fire has claimed one life in Smyth County, Virginia.
It started around 5:45 Tuesday morning on Dry Run Road between Marion and Sugar Grove.
We're told Marion Fire Department responded, as well as law enforcement and Marion Police Department, due to ongoing domestic issues.
It appears the home was destroyed in the fire. The victim's name has not been released yet.
The Smyth County Sheriff's Office is leading the investigation. "We'll know more once we can get in the scene and look around, once we get something back on the autopsy," said Chip Schuler with the SCSO.
The man who died was the only one home at the time of the fire.
Officials do not expect foul play in the death. They tell us they are investigating the possibility that victim may have started the fire.
The Department of Forensic Science currently has the evidence. The cause of the fire will not be determined until that evidence has been released.
- New Life Care agrees to pay $145 million for role in false claims to Medicare, TRICARE
- Trial in Carter County begins for man accused of trying to kill deputy while in jail
- Third suspect in Nashville tourist's death arrested
- Virginia city may consider "In God We Trust" motto for its city hall
- Body discovered near Guest River Gorge