SALTVILLE, Va. - ETSU researchers have made an interesting discovery -- they found Ice Age fossils in Saltville, Virginia.
The jaw and canine teeth of a giant short-faced bear were found at the ice age fossil site in 2000. Since then, the ETSU team has found more of the skeleton, including teeth and also discovered the location of the animal.
Local museum manager Harry Haynes tells us Saltville will always be rich in two things, history and salt. "It's very exciting to see things come out of the ground that have been there for 50 years or 20,000 years, very unique," said Haynes.
ETSU's Natural History Museum is preparing an exhibit on the recent Saltville discoveries.
We learned scientists expect future digs to uncover much more.
- Johnson City Police cruisers damaged after hour-long car chase
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools