SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - The Town of Marion's downtown has been growing for several years, bringing in all different kinds of new business.
So what's their secret? We spoke with Town of Marion Spokesperson Ken Heath, who says the key has been their 'Pop Up Marion' program.
He says the program offers a free three-hour class, assigns people a business mentor, and even helps people interested write a business plan.
Heath says those who complete the class could be eligible for up to $5,000 in grant funds.
He says the new businesses include restaurants, entertainment venues, and coffee shops. "We know if the locals will shop here, then when the tourists come they'll also shop here. It's worked out really well for us. We've filled those needs," he said.
Heath says the next class through the 'Pop Up Marion' program will be held Tuesday at the Marion Town Hall starting at 6 p.m.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Updated Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event