SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - A Chilhowie man is dead and his wife arrested after a shooting Thursday afternoon.
The Smyth County Sheriff's Office has charged 56-year-old Teresa Barlow with first-degree murder in the shooting death of 59-year-old Charles Ricky Barlow.
Officials say deputies, along with town officers from the county, responded to the couple's home on Mill Creek Road just before 1:30 Thursday afternoon. When they arrived, officers found Charles Ricky Barlow with a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Teresa Barlow faces an additional charge of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. She is being held in the Abingdon Regional Jail without bond.
Sheriff Chip Shuler said the investigation to the case is ongoing. He requested anyone with additional information to call the Sheriff's Office.
Neighbors say that Barlow was a great man, and that he used to mow people’s lawns and give away vegetables from his garden. Co-workers also expressed their high opinions of Mr. Barlow.
“Rick was a good guy, and good worker,” said Ken Heath, a former co-worker. “Had a lot of friends out at the town shop. Had a lot of the crew there that thought a lot of him. It’s just a real sad time, I’m sure, for the family and for the town as well.”
- New State parks hosting "First Day Hikes"
- UPDATE: Judge rules Azotea's murder confession admissible in jury trial
- UPDATE: Donald Trump Jr. denies Hawkins County, Tennessee land offer
- Good Samaritan Ministries still need sponors for 500 people in need this holiday season
- Local Subway restaurants donating sandwiches to non-profits to show appreciation