SMYTH, Va. - Three local firefighters are recovering tonight after a high school homecoming bonfire exploded.
Students were at Marion High School's stadium for their annual homecoming bonfire. According to the Marion Volunteer Fire Department the fire exploded, injuring three firemen who were there assisting at the event.
They tell us two of the firefighters were treated and released, while the third suffered from what are believed to be first and second degree burns on ten percent of his body.
The names of the firefighters have not been released.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day