SMYTH COUNTY, Va. - One of the local referendums on today's ballot is 'liquor by the drink' in the small community of Atkins in Smyth County, Virginia.
Its close proximity to Interstate 81 would be a perfect location for a restaurant or hotel.
The issue has brought a large turnout for a community that has only 1,740 registered voters.
"We've had a turnout average of 52 per hour. So right now at 11 o'clock there's 260 some voted," said poll supervisor Donald Bales.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone