Marion, Va. - Marion, Virginia is hosting a send-off for an army reserve unit deploying to Afghanistan.
The United States Army Reserves 760th Engineering Company is headquartered in Atkins, Virginia.
The community send-off will take place on Thursday, August 22 at 10 a.m. in front of the town hall in Marion on West Main Street.
Mayor David Helms will present the soldiers with a special American flag. It draped the town's 9/11 memorial steel as it was transported from New York to Marion in September 2011. The flag will be flown at the soldiers' camp until they return home.
The community is encouraged to come out and show their support for the troops and their families.
- New Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- New Poll: 51 percent of Tennesseans approve of Trump's job performance
- Updated UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- Dirty dancing: Caretaker charged for naughty dance in front of dementia patient
- Haslam: First vote on gas tax won't signal final version