Some small business owners in the coalfields are complaining about debts owed to them by a West Virginia billionaire that the Associated Press says owns dozens of mines.
Some of these businesses filed lawsuits against Jim Justice. They say they performed work for his companies but were never paid.
Justice told the Associated Press his coal mines have debts to vendors but he will pay them. He blamed the delay on the struggling coal industry.
There are five lawsuits that have been filed since 2011 in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Justice also owns the famous Greenbrier Hotel.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect