The Sierra Club ranks the Coalfields Expressway Project in Virginia as one of the 50 worst transportation projects in the country.
The Coalfields Expressway would run from Pound in Wise County through Dickenson and Buchanan counties to Raleigh County in West Virginia.
In a recent report, the Sierra Club says there's little traffic demand for a four-lane highway in the region.
The group also claims the highway is being built solely for fossil fuel development.
Virginia Department of Transportation spokeswoman Michelle Earl tells the Bluefield Daily Telegraph the Coalfields Expressway will open the region to economic development.
- Updated Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Updated Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone
- Updated Retailers already looking ahead to Halloween
- Updated Kids given farm lessons at "Ag in the Classroom"
- New Animal Shelter Thrift Store in Johnson City closing in Dec