BRISTOL, VA. - Some local restaurants celebrated Memorial Day today with free food for service members.
Veterans and active service military got a free all American burger and fry at any Shoney's restaurant Monday.
They did have to pay for a drink, but all they had to do was show proof of military service.
Manager Lea Mutter said veterans and active members arrived at Shoney's in Bristol, Vrginia early.
"We've had several, This morning our first one was at 9:30 this morning wanting his free hamburger," Mutter says.
Shoney's also offers a 25 percent discount for active military members every single day.
Mutter says two Korean War veterans come in to the Bristol location daily for a hamburger, and that the restaurant was honored to provide veterans with a free Memorial Day meal.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day