SCOTT COUNTY, VA. - An early morning fire claimed the life of a woman in Scott County, Virginia.
The fire happened around 6 a.m. on Bristol Highway in the Hiltons community.
We're told the victim was 97-years-old Louella Pierson.
Every morning Patsy Mercer would call her mother to check in, but on Monday morning it was a different kind of phone call -- it was a call from a neighbor about her mom and the fact that smoke was coming from her home.
Mercer went next door, where fire crews were working to reach her mother. "It's a terrible feeling to stand and watch a house burn down, and you don't know if they're getting her out, whether she's already gone, or what," says Mercer.
It was too late: 97-year-old Louella Pierson died in her long-time home.
"At this point, we're waiting for the house to cool down. Virginia State Police and Scott County Sheriff's Office will then go in and investigate," says Chris Holder, an investigator with Scott County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators don't believe foul play was involved, but they are trying to find out how the fire started.
While Mercer remembers her mother and the relationship she cherished. "Well, I didn't see her every day, but I called her every day. Two to three times a day, or she'd call me," she told us.
Mercer says her mother was a lively person and a loving mother.
The victim's body has been sent for an autopsy.
- Updated Three injured at Volusia Speedway Park when car crashes into stands
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake