A Gate City man is facing charges after a police standoff at an apartment complex.
Witnesses say they saw Timothy Wayne Sturgill shoot a gun towards Gate City High School near a field where football practice was going on Tuesday.
Officers say they found several empty cartridges near Sturgill's apartment Wednesday night, as well as bullet holes through his apartment floor.
Police say Sturgill refused officer commands to answer the door while holding other people inside. After about a half an hour, officers say they entered to find Sturgill intoxicated.
Sturgill is charged with two counts of abduction, shooting inside an occupied dwelling, shooting within one thousand feet of a school, and resisting arrest.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day