SCOTT COUNTY, Va. - The Scott County, Va. school system is implementing new guidelines to keep their students safe.
The school's safety committee met back in January to see what other organizations were doing to increase safety in and around schools.
Administrators, teachers, police, EMS, fire and rescue personnel met again Tuesday to implement some of those new procedures.
Jason Smith with Scott County, Virginia School s said, "We had closed up a lot of the issues that we found that really what we are looking at now is just minor tweaks. We were very surprised on how far we were along and how comfortable we felt with our plans that were in place."
Scott County currently has three-school resource officers located at each of their high schools.
They are searching for grants and other funding sources to pay for putting school resource officers in all of their schools.
- Kingsport police investigating suspicious death on Bruce Street
- Bristol woman staying positive throughout MS diagnosis
- Greeneville Couple Accused of Trying to Sell A Child on Craigslist
- Indivisible Greene County rally brings out protestors rallying for unity
- Kingsport hosts annual Carousel Fine Craft Show