SCOTT COUNTY, Tenn. - A man accused in a Christmas Eve murder and robbery in Scott County, Virginia could serve life in prison after a plea deal.
Daniel Eugene Norris was scheduled to stand trial on capital murder charges, but instead decided to enter an Alford Plea, which does not admit guilt but agrees the prosecution has enough evidence to convict him.
The charges stem from a 2011 crime that left Gregory Jerome Hale dead near his home in Nicklesville.
Norris could be sentenced to life in prison.
If he had been convicted of capital murder he could have received the death penalty.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon