Nine school divisions in Southwest Virginia were among 104 in the state to be awarded School Security Equipment Grants through legislation passed by lawmakers in 2013 in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook tragedy.
The grants will be helped to install various equipment at different schools. Those upgrades will include video monitoring systems, metal detectors, classroom locks, electronic-access controls, visitor-identification systems, direct communications links between schools and law enforcement agencies, according to a report from Gov. Terry McAuliffe and the Department of Education.
Local governments are required to provide a 25 percent match in order to receive the funding.
The divisions receiving grants include:
- Bristol - $100,000 for Virginia High School
- Buchanan County - $28,805 for for Council High, Hurley Elementary/Middle, Hurley High, Riverview Elementary/Middle and Twin Valley High
- Dickenson County - $12,858 for Clintwood Elementary, Ervinton Elementary, Ridgeview High School and Ridgeview Middle School
- Lee County - $100,000 for Dryden Elementary, Elk Knob Elementary, Elydale Elementary, Flatwoods Elementary, Jonesville Middle, Lee County Career and Technical Center, Pennington Middle, Rose Hill Elementary, St. Charles Elementary and Thomas Walker High
- Russell County - $73,814 for Belfast Elk Garden Elementary, Castlewood Elementary, Castlewood High, Copper Creek Elementary, Honaker Elementary, Honaker High, Lebanon Elementary, Lebanon High, Lebanon Primary, Russell County Vocational and Swords Creek Elementary
- Scott County - $23,755 for Gate City High and Gate City Middle
- Tazewell County - $99,624 for Abb's Valley-Boissevain Elementary, Dudley Primary, Raven Elementary and Springville Elementary
- Washington County - $59,720 for Abingdon High, Damascus Middle, E.B. Stanley Middle, Glade Spring Middle, High Point Elementary, Holston High, John S. Battle High, Patrick Henry High, Valley Institute Elementary and Wallace Middle
- Wise County - $63,334 for L.F. Addington Middle and Wise County Career-Technical Center
- New Church Hill man killed in accident on I-81
- New Johnson City schools looking to convert Indian Trail, Liberty Bell for 5-8th graders
- THP helping sheriff's offices predict where crashes may happen
- Air "born" : First time flyers get a ride at Tri Cities Airport in special event
- Confederate monuments vandalized in two Virginia cities