RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - The Russell County Sheriff's Department is investigating a late-night shooting.
It happened around 10 p.m. Wednesday at a home on Miller Creek Road in the Swords Creek community. Investigators say it started out as a domestic dispute between a husband and wife. Authorities believe the woman grabbed a .38 caliber pistol and fired two shots towards a wall.
The victim was in another room when the bullet hit her in the neck, investigators believe the victim's child was also in the home. "The six-year-old child was also in the bedroom when the victim was struck in the bullet...but the child was not hurt," said Major Bill Watson with the Sheriff's Department.
Right now the names of the people involved are not being released. The victim was flown to Bristol Regional Medical Center. So far now criminal charges have been placed.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson