RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - The Russell County Sheriff's Department is investigating a late-night shooting.
It happened around 10 p.m. Wednesday at a home on Miller Creek Road in the Swords Creek community. Investigators say it started out as a domestic dispute between a husband and wife. Authorities believe the woman grabbed a .38 caliber pistol and fired two shots towards a wall.
The victim was in another room when the bullet hit her in the neck, investigators believe the victim's child was also in the home. "The six-year-old child was also in the bedroom when the victim was struck in the bullet...but the child was not hurt," said Major Bill Watson with the Sheriff's Department.
Right now the names of the people involved are not being released. The victim was flown to Bristol Regional Medical Center. So far now criminal charges have been placed.
- Kingsport police searching for five sex offenders
- Updated Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Volvo recalls 44K vehicles; leak can cause air bag problem
- New Fundraiser and concert to be held for John Battle coach who has brain cancer
- Updated UPDATE: Elizabethon police identify suspect in credit card theft case