RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - September 5, 2013 update:
No charges will be filed in a crash that ended with a deadly shooting, according to the Commonwealth's Attorney's office.
The sheriff's office, Virginia state police, and the Commonwealth's Attorney's office say Douglas Witt was driving a flatbed truck on Copper Creek Road in Russell County on August 20th when they say he rammed into an SUV.
Witt's wife and daughter were in the SUV that went down an embankment.
The wife told investigators Witt continued aggressively toward her and their daughter, so she shot and killed him.
Investigators ruled the shooting was justified and will not prosecute.
August 21, 2013 story:
Russell County, Virginia authorities say a crash led to a shooting in Castlewood, Virginia on Tuesday.
According to Commonwealth's Attorney Brian Patton, it happened on Copper Creek Road just before 8:00 Tuesday morning. Our crews were on the scene Tuesday but authorities would not release information about the incident until Wednesday morning.
Patton says one vehicle hit another and the driver of the vehicle that caused the crash was shot. Patton says 53-year-old Douglas Allen Whitt of Abingdon, Virginia died at the scene from the gunshot.
Patton did not release any other details about the crash or others involved and said the investigation continues.
We'll bring you more information as it is available.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment