RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - Russell County sheriff's deputies have arrested two people in connection to a murder investigation following a special grand jury meeting earlier this week.
The case involves a newborn baby found dead in June. Investigators say the baby's mother, Jamie Necole Lawson of Castlewood, is charged with felony murder, child neglect, and conspiracy to dispose of a body.
A second person, Ashley Dawn Couch, is being charged with conspiracy to dispose of a body.
Officers will not say what led to the charges, only that the newborn's body was found in June. The charges were filed after an autopsy was performed to make sure the baby was not stillborn.
- Updated Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Updated Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game
- Public sessions begin Monday regarding MSHA/Wellmont merger