RUSSELL COUNTY, VA. - Three teenagers convicted in Russell County, Virginia of sexually assaulting a classmate have been re-sentenced.
The judge originally sentenced the Castlewood High School students, to detention and diversion programs.
16 year old, Kenneth Otto Purkey, 17 year old Jonathan Corey Lasley and 16 year old Nicholas Wythe Kiser have been re-sentenced. They will now serve one year in the Abingdon Regional Jail where they will be segregated from the rest of the prisoners.
The judge said he made the ruling because Virginia adopted the Federal Prison Rape Elimination act in May. That means the teens could not be housed at the detention center with other adults.
After serving their time, the teens will be placed on probation indefinitely.
- Updated Figure skater Scott Hamilton diagnosed with 3rd brain tumor
- Life Care agrees to pay $145 million for role in false claims to Medicare, TRICARE
- Trial in Carter County begins for man accused of trying to kill deputy while in jail
- Third suspect in Nashville tourist's death arrested
- Virginia city may consider "In God We Trust" motto for its city hall