RUSSELL COUNTY, VA. - Three teenagers convicted in Russell County, Virginia of sexually assaulting a classmate have been re-sentenced.
The judge originally sentenced the Castlewood High School students, to detention and diversion programs.
16 year old, Kenneth Otto Purkey, 17 year old Jonathan Corey Lasley and 16 year old Nicholas Wythe Kiser have been re-sentenced. They will now serve one year in the Abingdon Regional Jail where they will be segregated from the rest of the prisoners.
The judge said he made the ruling because Virginia adopted the Federal Prison Rape Elimination act in May. That means the teens could not be housed at the detention center with other adults.
After serving their time, the teens will be placed on probation indefinitely.
- Updated Highway 421 to reopen Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Updated Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests
- Updated Report: Presidential Debate captures 80.9 million viewers
- Bluff City tagged with $25,000 fine from state for sewer violation
- Man accused of killing father in Buchanan County appears in court