The Russell County, Virginia Sheriff's Office is still trying to connect a person of interest to a crime scene, after a 29-year-old mother of two was killed in her home on Sunday.
Santana Hale and her boyfriend lived in this apartment for about five months, and their landlord says he never expected anything like this to happen in the quiet Castlewood community.
"My prayers and sympathies really go out to the family at this time it's really a tragedy," Roy Mabry, Hale's landlord, says.
The Russell County Sheriff's Office responded to a call at 142 Boyd Street. When they arrived, 29-year-old Santana Hale, a mother of two, was dead inside the home.
"We believe it is related to a domestic incident," Russell County Sheriff Steve Dye says.
Police have identified a person of interest in the case, but no charges have been filed so far. However, a person of interest is behind bars on unrelated charges. The Sheriff's Office found a pair of red and black Air Jordan sneakers on Monday afternoon they say could help them unlock the case.
"To see if there was any DNA on the shoes to tie those shoes to that person and that person to the crime scene," Sheriff Dye says.
While authorities work on making an arrest, those who knew Hale say they'll remember her as a loving mother, daughter and member of the community.
"Always a nice, polite girl," Mabry says. "Always waved and always gave me a smile,"
- New Travelers at Tri-Cities airport experiencing issues after Atlanta power outage
- "Toys from Cops" event helps kids in need in Sullivan County
- Johnson City man arrested in connection to string of auto burglaries
- Suspect arrested after leading Washington County, VA deputies on a high speed chase
- The disappearance of Jessica Garino: a search for the truth