RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - A fox found in Russell County has tested positive for rabies.
The Virginia Department of Health says the fox found July 31 is the fifth rabid animal found in the southwest Virginia county this year.
A local public health official said the county has seen an increase in wild animals testing positive for rabies.
Anyone who might have been exposed to a rabid animal, or suspects a pet was exposed, should call the Russell County Health Department or animal control.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next