The Laurel Mountain Mine in Russell County, Virginia stopped operations on Saturday, according to Alpha Natural Resources spokesman Ted Pile.
Pile said 41 workers lost their jobs. 51 workers are moving equipment out of the mine over the next few months as part of the closing process.
Alpha cited lower coal prices, difficult terrain and increased supply as a reason for financial difficulties facing the mine.
Pile said coal prices dropped about 50 percent over the last 18 months.
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire
- Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game