The Laurel Mountain Mine in Russell County, Virginia stopped operations on Saturday, according to Alpha Natural Resources spokesman Ted Pile.
Pile said 41 workers lost their jobs. 51 workers are moving equipment out of the mine over the next few months as part of the closing process.
Alpha cited lower coal prices, difficult terrain and increased supply as a reason for financial difficulties facing the mine.
Pile said coal prices dropped about 50 percent over the last 18 months.
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University
- Kingsport man trying to make Halloween attractions accessible to all
- Tennessee voters encouraged to vote early