The Laurel Mountain Mine in Russell County, Virginia stopped operations on Saturday, according to Alpha Natural Resources spokesman Ted Pile.
Pile said 41 workers lost their jobs. 51 workers are moving equipment out of the mine over the next few months as part of the closing process.
Alpha cited lower coal prices, difficult terrain and increased supply as a reason for financial difficulties facing the mine.
Pile said coal prices dropped about 50 percent over the last 18 months.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City