The Laurel Mountain Mine in Russell County, Virginia stopped operations on Saturday, according to Alpha Natural Resources spokesman Ted Pile.
Pile said 41 workers lost their jobs. 51 workers are moving equipment out of the mine over the next few months as part of the closing process.
Alpha cited lower coal prices, difficult terrain and increased supply as a reason for financial difficulties facing the mine.
Pile said coal prices dropped about 50 percent over the last 18 months.
- Haslam signs bill reducing costs of wiping criminal records
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday