One man is dead and a woman is seriously hurt following a Saturday morning crash in Russell County.
According to Virginia State Police, a Chevrolet Cavalier was going south on Route 71 just north of Route 645 when it crossed the center line and ran off the left side of the road around 5:30 a.m. The sedan struck an embankment and overturned before hitting a fence. The driver and passenger were both ejected from the vehicle. Neither of them were wearing a seat belt.
Michael A. Webb, 23, of Lebanon, who was a passenger, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver, a 23-year-old woman, was flown to Bristol Regional Medical Center for treatment of serious injuries. There is no word on her condition.
Virginia State Police was not called until 1:52 p.m. after a deputy came upon the crash. The driver and passenger were not visible from the highway.
The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending.
- President Trump and family now land owners in Hawkins County
- Businesses in downtown Marion deck the windows for holiday contest
- UPDATE: Bristol, Tennessee man sentenced to 10 years for child sex crimes
- Sullivan County Highway Department has new tools to clear slippery roads
- UPDATE: Governor Haslam offers $5K reward for info on Bristol Walmart murder