HONAKER, Va. - The Cook family is thankful for their lives this Thanksgiving after a fire destroys their home. News 5 learned they were still able to celebrate the holiday, thanks to emergency workers arranging a Thanksgiving meal from a local church.
The smoke alarm is still sounding inside of Rebecka Cook's home on Springbrook Lane. It's a heartbreaking reminder for her and the family that flames tore through on Thanksgiving day. "I'm thankful everyone got out but there are so many memories, and they're memories you can't replace," Cook said.
Cook's husband was the only one home when the fire started, that's because the family was picking up some groceries for Thanksgiving dinner and thankfully no one was hurt. "We couldn't even have Thanksgiving at our own house. We had to go over to the Sheriff's Department and at the dispatch office," added Cook.
Russell County Emergency Management Director Jess Powers says the fire appears to be electrical, but investigators are trying to figure out what caused the fire. "It looks like it started in the bedroom or towards the bedroom area because that area is gutted more," added Powers.
Charred pieces of clothing are scattered in the yard and they're all that's left. "They [Cook family] did have insurance on the structure, but not on the contents inside of the home," said Powers.
Help is coming from the American Red Cross and News 5 learned the Cooks are hoping to find a new home close by to rent. But they're simply asking for one thing. "Prayers. Whatever the good Lord provides after that will be much appreciated," said Cook.
Donations are being accepted if you would like to help this family. Their sizes are:
* Grandmother - 1X - 2X top; 16 pants; and 7 shoe
* Male - Medium top; 30/30 pants; and 81/2 - 9 shoe
* Female - 2X - 3X top; 22 pants; and 9 shoe
* Girl - 6 top; 6 pants; and 12 shoe
* Girl - 6 top; 6 pants; and 13 shoe
* Boy - 6 top; 6 pants, and 13 shoe
Donations will be collected at the Russell County 911 Dispatch Center at 656 Clydesway Drive in Lebanon, Virginia.
- Sheriff: Social media rumors concerning Northwood High School being investigated
- Gone without a trace, Honaker man missing for a week
- Bogus Bills Bust: Washington County TN nab another counterfeit cash criminal
- Local healthcare leaders, educators discuss upcoming changes to Affordable Care Act
- For Weston: 'Feed the Fire' honors Kingsport boy's dream