RUSSELL COUNTY, Va. - A live search and rescue exercise takes place at a local college Monday. Southwest Virginia Community College, along with Tazewell and Russell County authorities will participate in the exercise.
Russell County authorities tell News 5, the purpose is to provide an opportunity to assess threats to public safety and emergency response resources. Participants in Monday's exercise include law enforcement agencies, emergency managers, government officials and more. Several emergency vehicles will be on campus, as well.
Officials say, the exercise will take place in the picnic area parking lot, walking trail and the armory.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect