VIRGINIA - Thousands of dollars in grant money is headed to schools across the Commonwealth of Virginia, including several in our region.
The Virginia Department of Education awarded 47 grants to 21st-Century Community Learning Centers across the state to help provide tutoring, enrichment activities, literacy and other educational services to students.
The grants range from $50,000 to $200,000.
In our region, Castlewood High, Honaker High, Lebanon Middle and Lebanon Primary schools, in Russell County, are receiving funds. Saltville Elementary, in Smyth County, will receive grant money, as well.
Programs that received these grants in 2012 and 2013 will continue to get funding for those programs.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities
- Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record