At least one person has come forward to fill the vacancy left by Virginia Senator Phil Puckett, who announced Sunday that he will resign.
Delegate Ben Chafin, Jr. a Republican from Russell County, announced his candidacy on Monday. Chafin currently represents the Fourth District in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Chafin is an attorney and a beef cattle farmer.
In a statement released Monday, Chafin says he will fight for policies that will grow the economy in Southwest Virginia, including supporting the mining industry and improved health care.
The 38th Senatorial District includes all of Bland, Buchanan, Dickenson, Pulaski, Russell, and Tazewell counties, the cities of Norton and Radford, and portions of Montgomery, Smyth, and Wise counties.
- New Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- New Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- New Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Updated Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record
- Updated Local bank holding 5K run to raise money for Niswonger Children's Hospital