At least one person has come forward to fill the vacancy left by Virginia Senator Phil Puckett, who announced Sunday that he will resign.
Delegate Ben Chafin, Jr. a Republican from Russell County, announced his candidacy on Monday. Chafin currently represents the Fourth District in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Chafin is an attorney and a beef cattle farmer.
In a statement released Monday, Chafin says he will fight for policies that will grow the economy in Southwest Virginia, including supporting the mining industry and improved health care.
The 38th Senatorial District includes all of Bland, Buchanan, Dickenson, Pulaski, Russell, and Tazewell counties, the cities of Norton and Radford, and portions of Montgomery, Smyth, and Wise counties.
- ETSU student arraigned, has November court date
- Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Search underway for endangered child and suspected kidnapper
- ETSU protest crasher appears in court, peaceful rally continues on campus
- Tennessee Highway Patrol alerts drivers about gunshots on I-81