Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney today made the following statement on the layoffs announced by Alpha Natural Resources.
"President Obama's war on coal has claimed its latest victims with the news that 1,200 workers in states like Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania will lose their jobs. The Obama Administration's economic and regulatory policies are destroying jobs across the country and coal communities have been among the hardest hit.
"For the sake of so many hardworking Americans and the families that depend on them, this must change. I have spent my life creating jobs. Barack Obama has spent his presidency destroying them. Coal country deserves better over the next four years."
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City