Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney today made the following statement on the layoffs announced by Alpha Natural Resources.
"President Obama's war on coal has claimed its latest victims with the news that 1,200 workers in states like Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania will lose their jobs. The Obama Administration's economic and regulatory policies are destroying jobs across the country and coal communities have been among the hardest hit.
"For the sake of so many hardworking Americans and the families that depend on them, this must change. I have spent my life creating jobs. Barack Obama has spent his presidency destroying them. Coal country deserves better over the next four years."
- New Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- Updated School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing